Monday, June 11, 2007

A Quote

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself 'What makes me come alive?' and go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

I initially wrote down this quote from Frederick Buechner on a napkin about 7 or 8 years ago, and somehow it has survived in my mind. I think it speaks to me and probably many people at my stage in life who are trying to figure out what the heck to do with ourselves, and how to have a positive impact in the world.

So often i find myself thinking the misguided thought "If I enjoy doing this, it must be selfish." The reality is actually the opposite: it is selfish to keep from the world the gifts and passions i've been given. It sounds like something out of "The Screwtape Letters."

P.S. I think the immediate connection is to career stuff, but i believe there is a good application to this theme in all life decisions.

1 comment:

Chad Cheverier said...

i really like that quote, thanks for sharing your insight too!