Thursday, August 2, 2007

Peter Dawson's Son Beats Peter Dawson At Ping Pong - AKA "This Actually Happened Part 2"

I recently had the awesome experience of hanging out with some musician friends in a recording studio while they were recording an album. It was pretty much the coolest thing i've ever done and i so wish i was a musician! It's everything you think it is and more. Drinks (yes please), cigarettes(no thanks), people talking about the Beatles, etc...More on that later - but - something totally crazy happened.

After being introduced to the other musicians who were contributing to the album, one of them, a really cool guy named Jordan, says to me "wait a minute, are you Peter Dawson the photographer?" So i told him that i was in fact a photographer. So he says "No way! My dad is Peter Dawson the Violinist!"

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah, so there are basically four other Peter Dawsons on Google:
1)Peter Dawson the Dentist/Dental institute in Florida, whom i despise because he has the domain www.peterdawson.com. If you're interested, it looks like their doing a "head and neck dissection" on August 9th.

2)Peter Dawson Band, an Austin Texas based musician. I don't really care for the music, but my friend from Texas went to his show once and mailed me a pair of pink American Apparel women's underwear that have "I LOVE PETER DAWSON" printed on the butt, which i guess this guy sells as merchandise at his shows. I'm saving them for the future Mrs. Dawson.

3)Peter Dawson the Australian Wedding Photographer. Sometimes i get email requests for my "wedding packages." Enough said.

4)Peter Dawson the Violinist Check it out! There's a little audio sample on the site and here's his storefront in Ottowa, Canada. He sells violins too.


So Jordan told me all about his dad - how he was a Russian Immigrant named Peter Zadorozny, and how that name wasn't memorable or whatever for a musician, so he changed his name to Peter Dawson. Jordan's an amazing musician too - check out some music on his myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/abbeyband

And yes, he beat me at ping pong, which is pretty good because i was my dorm champion in college, but i haven't played since then.

Small world indeed....

4 comments:

blaine said...

wow dude i love this story. good stuff.

Kirk Wimberley said...

Another interesting thing is that my step-dad is from Ottawa Canada and his parents immigrated here from the Ukraine.

Colleen said...

So awesome, Peter.

Peter said...

G'day from Oz. Have you heard there's another famous Peter Dawson who is a cyclist, down here in Australia? I also met a well known Sky Diver when I was a kid in the 1960's and he was Peter Dawson. One of the most famous baritones that ever lived was Peter Dawson who died in 1961. I also have this name and I live in Australia as well. I'm also a keen photographer, but not a professional like my namesake in Perth. I've worked as a T.V. cameraman for ABC-TV, so it appears that a lot of us are attracted to the arts. Regards, Peter Dawson. (Waverton, NSW)